English grammar error spotting finding correction exercise Practise set 48

English grammar error spotting correction exercises practice set 48

English-grammar-Error-spoting-finding-correction-practice-set-48-engineeringdev

In the following English grammar error spotting questions, some parts of the sentences have errors and some are correct. Find out which part of a sentence has an error. The number of that part is the answer. If a sentence is free from error, your answer is No error.




Question 1: Ram was (1)/ senior to (2)/ Sam in college. (3)/ No error. (4)

Answer : (4) No error




Question 2: The sceneries (1)/ of Kashmir (2)/ is very charming. (3)/ No error (4).

Answer : (1) scenery will replace sceneries because – Plural of scenery is scenery. Hence, The scenery is the right usage




Question 3: Three conditions (1)/ critical for growing (2)/ plants are soil, temperature, chemical balance or amount of moisture. (3)/ No error (4).

Answer : (3) temperature and chemical balance will replace temperature, chemical balance because – We are talking about three conditions. Hence, plants are soil, temperature and chemical balance or amount of moisture is the right usage.




Question 4: One of my friends (1)/ are (2)/an I.A.S officer. (3)/ No error (4)

Answer : (2) one of my friends is a Singular Subject. Hence, Singular Verb-is is the right usage




Question 5: Ravi Shankar’s performance was given (1)/ a standing ovation by the (2)/ people who has come to hear him. (3)/ No error (4)

Answer : (3) The sentence shows past time. Hence, Past perfect i.e. people who had come to hear him ...... should be used here.




Question 6: The new lecturer (1)/ seems to be very popular with (2)/ most of the class. (3)/ No error (4)

Answer : (*) *




Question 7: I have reached (1)/ the office before (2)/ the rain started. (3)/ No error (4)

Answer : (1) When both events happen in the past, the event that happens earlier should be expressed in Past Perfect. Hence, I had reached is the right usage.




Question 8: There is no agreement (1)/ between you and I (2)/ so we are free to go our way. (3)/ No error (4)

Answer : (2) between (Prep.) should be followed by an Objective Pronoun (such as me, him, her, us) and not a Subjective Pronoun (such as I, he, she, we) Hence, between you and me is the right usage




Question 9: When I was young, (1)/ I used to col lect stamps (2)/ as a hobby. (3)/ No error (4)

Answer : (4) No error.




Question 10: The fact of me (1)/ being a stranger (2)/ does not excuse his conduct. (3)/ No error. (4)

Answer : (1) my will replace me because – me is in Objective Case and my in Possessive Case. as in – Do you mind my smoking ? (correct) Do you mind me smoking ? (×) Hence, The fact of my is the right usage.




Question 11: On receiving the mark-sheet from the University (1)/ I realised (2)/ that I had got only passing marks in English.(3)/ No error (4)

Answer : (4) No error.




Question 12: I was surprised (1)/ when the hostess smiled (2)/ as if she saw me before.(3)/ No error (4)

Answer : (3) Before is used in Perfect Tenses. Hence, Past Perfect i.e. as if she had seen me before is the right usage.




Question 13: A Tale of Two Cities (1)/ are written (2)/ by Charles Dickens. (3)/ No error (4)/

Answer : (2) is will replace are because – A Tale of Two cities, is the name of a Single Book. So, it will take Singular Verb. Hence, is written is the right usage.




Question 14: We are going to launch (1)/ this three-crores project (2)/ within the next few months. (3)/ No error. (4)

Answer : (2) three – crore will replace three - crores because – In hyphenated Compound Adjectives, the Noun is used in Singular. Hence, this three-crore project is the right usage




Question 15: According to scientists (1)/, there are a lot of (2)/ answers about it. (3)/ No error (4).

Answer : (3) It is Preposition related error. Look at the sentence : I can’t easily give an answer to the question. Hence, answers/solutions to it is the right usage.




Question 16: The whole block of flats (1)/ including two shops (2)/ was destroyed in fire. (3)/No error (4)

Answer : (3) destroyed by fire will replace destroyed in fire.




Question 17: No sooner had the hockey match started (1)/ when it began (2)/ to rain (3)/. No error (4).

Answer : (2) than will replace when because – No sooner – than is the correct Correlative. No sooner introduces the event that occurred first.




Question 18: The government (1)/ must provide facilities for the (2)/ upbringing of women. (3)/ No error (4)

Answer : (3) Here, upbringing of girl child/protection of women is the right usage. upbringing (N.) : the way in which a child is cared for and taught how to behave while it is growing up.




Question 19: The news (1)/ I have received (2)/ is not good.(3)/ No error. (4)

Answer : (4) No error.




Question 20: When I fail (1)/ to solve the problem mysel f (2)/ I unhesitatingly called for his help. (3)/ No error. (4)

Answer : (1) failed will replace fail because – the sentence is indicating a Past Event. Hence, when I failed is the right usage.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

English grammar error spotting finding correction exercise Practise set 36

pneumatic comparator and solex pneumatic comparator

interferometer and interferometry